I am not sure if we are a good fit for Healing Parent coaching. What kind of problems does this healing parent approach work for?
You are a good fit if any of the following apply to your situation:
- Your child has been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, Aspergers, Tourettes, OCD, ODD, depression, sensory issues, …or any other learning, behavior or mood diagnosis.
- You are dealing with things like, meltdowns, temper tantrums, bullying, oppositional defiance, low motivation, low self-esteem, lethargy, not performing at level of true potential…
- Your child does not have a diagnosis but the school suggests you get one. You are conflicted about whether to do this or not.
- You feel at a loss about how to help your child overcome his/her problems.
- You have tried several different approaches and/or seen different healthcare practitioners with little sustainable improvement.
- You feel confused and overwhelmed.
- Your child becomes easily stressed and anxious.
- Your child does not have positive self-belief.
- Your child’s learning/behavior/mood problems are having a negative effect on the entire family.
- You have the feeling that your child is uniquely talented but something is blocking him from using this talent.
- Mom and Dad are not on the same page about how to treat/manage the child’s problem.
- Mom and Dad have different ways of disciplining the child.
- Mom and/or Dad are stressed.
- The relationship between Mom and Dad is strained and tense, affecting your child.
- You would like to explore healing your child without prescribed medication, if possible.
Aren’t there some children who do need prescription drugs?
Yes, indeed, there are cases where a child needs prescribed medication. I am not against medication. I am against using medication as the first, and only, option. I support medication as a last resort.
Dr. Sandy you speak about healing without prescription drugs. What if my child is already taking a prescription drug? Will your Healing Parent treatment approach still work for them?
Absolutely it will! If your child is already taking a prescribed medication this is certainly NOT a problem. I would NOT take the child off the medication but will implement the treatment plan while he/she is on the meds. I will monitor the improvements and when the time comes, and if, appropriate, we will then discuss, with the healthcare practitioner. the possibility of weaning the child off the medication. You will know that the time is right for such a discussion because many of your child’s symptoms will have been significantly reduced or completely resolved.
Is this Healing Parent coaching the same as therapy?
No, it is not therapy. Although I do hold a degree in Clinical Psychology, I am not practicing psychology or doing therapy. I coach parents with the information and tools they need to heal the child’s spirit, body and brain. These tools are easy to learn, easy to use and fun. The added benefit is that as you practice these tools with your child, you will be healing yourself at the same time. The process can involve counselling with a parent or with the couple, when necessary.
What do you mean by a child’s ‘spirit’?
I define the word ‘spirit’ as the inner self or life force from which the child’s self-identity, self worth and self-confidence emanates. Children with a robust, healthy spirit are resilient. They show courage and determination. They are proud of who they are, comfortable with themselves, relate easily to others and find life exciting. When the child has a healthy spirit their natural talents are freely available to them and they not afraid to reach for great goals. A child that has a robust spirit will have the ability to become the extraordinary being that he or she truly is.
Do you see the child?
I do see the child in the beginning of the coaching process. After that I work primarily with parents to empower them with the information and tools they need to heal the child. I do not believe in parents dropping their children off at the clinic for an hour and then (unintentionally) undoing what benefits the child gleaned from being with me. Parents that learn the healing tools for themselves, always tell me that they can hardly believe the changes in their kids – and their family – when they apply what I teach them. If necessary (which is very rarely) I will visit with the child, or with the entire family. I may also visit the child’s teacher/s.
How long does this take?
The length of time this takes is different depending on the severity of the child’s challenges, the parent’s schedule, and the degree of commitment and excitement with which parents implement what they learn.
Is there any ongoing support after I have completed the program?
Yes, I am available for support sessions on a needs basis. This can be on Skype or at my office. I also offer a live and online support group.
Can you work with one parent or must it be both parents?
My experience shows that when both parents attend the coaching sessions together, we get quicker results. This is because when both parents are using the healing tools with the child, the benefits are compounded and the effect is more powerful. However, I understand this is very often not possible.
Is there any paperwork I have to do before I start the sessions?
Yes there is a comprehensive Intake Questionnaire that needs to be completed. You do this online.