[tabs style=”default”] [tab title=”About PTC”]
PTC is an unique and powerful program that gives parents the skills they need to help their children overcome their learning, behavior and mood challenges, preferably without the use of drugs.
Dealing with a child that has learning, mood or behavior problems can be very stressful, confusing and frustrating for parents and can place great stress on the family system.
Parents, Take Charge is an educational and skills-based program for parents of children from four years of age to late teens who are struggling with any one of a wide array of learning and behavior difficulties. The program has been designed to empower parents with the most up-to-date scientifically-proven information and skills to help their children overcome learning, mood and behavior symptoms, without medication. The skills taught in this program are playful and easy to use, as well as being grounded in science and are designed to help your child’s body use its natural ability to heal itself.[divider_flat]
- Learn about the science of what is happening to your child:
- The latest research findings.
- The latest treatment options.
- Be given a step-by-step plan of action appropriate for your child’s specific challenges:
- What types of healthcare practitioners would be appropriate for the problems your child is displaying.
- How to identify and interview these practitioners.
- How to work as a team with the child’s healthcare practitioners.
- Learn tools, techniques and exercises to be incorporated into the daily schedule. This gives you, the parent, exceptional skills to play an active part in the child’s healing.
[/tab] [tab title=”The Science”]
The Science Behind PTC
The skills required for being a great parent today have changed dramatically compared with a decade ago. Today, millions of parents are faced with having to cope with the epidemic of learning, behavior and mood problems in children. Another challenge all parents face today is how to help their kids be strong, healthy, confident, and resilient in this pressurized and stressful environment that they are growing up in.
Today’s world calls for parents to have exceptional health and wellness skills.
As a parent today, you will want to be well informed and knowledgeable about:
- What’s happening in your child’s body, brain and spirit.
- What to feed your child’s brain, body and spirit
- Recognizing early signs of stress in your child.
- Nutritional imbalances, deficiencies and supplements.
- Identifying and removing toxins that are affecting your child’s ability to be happy healthy and learn easily.
- Nourishing and strengthening the true spirit of your child.
- Stimulating your child’s healthy chemicals and brain power as part of your normal day.
- What steps to take before ever considering medication as an option.
- How to treat the body, brain and spirit of the child together.
The Parents, Take Charge program is grounded in the latest research in physiology, psychology and neuroscience.
The Physiology of PTC
- Real healing takes place when the body, brain and spirit of the child are treated as ONE interrelated and interdependent system. A dysfunction in any one of these, will always affect the other two. This means that body; brain and spirit should not be compartmentalized and treated separately.
- Parents Take Charge uses as its foundation the scientific principles of Functional Medicine, which is based on identifying and treating underlying root causes, not medicating symptoms.
- The PTC Program is based on healing, not hiding, causes. The first step is to identify the combined physical and emotional sources of these problems. The treatment plan will then flow from this. Take for example a child that appears depressed. This could be due to stress, an emotional trauma that has caused a chemical imbalance, a vitamin B12 deficiency, a food allergy, mercury poisoning, the thyroid not functioning properly, or a combination of these factors.
- The body has a natural ability to heal itself and achieve optimal health. Parents need the skills to help the body do this.
The Psychology of PTC:
Using labels such as, for example, ADD, ADHD, OCD, ODD, depression and others, is considered to be counter-productive because:
- These labels do not support a comprehensive body-spirit treatment of the child.
- These labels define the child in a negative way. One 8-year old boy introduced himself to me as, ‘Hi I am David. I have ADHD.’
- Children and their parents internalize these labels and then act in ways that cause the label to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Instead of seeking a diagnostic label, the emphasis is on gaining insight into every symptom the child is manifesting and discovering how these symptoms are tied to underlying sources of imbalance in the functioning of the body, brain and spirit of the child.
Neuroplasticity and Neurogenesis prove that the brain is not a static system. It changes over time and is subject to manipulation depending on the inputs it receives. This has major implications for how parents interact with their naturally developing children as well as children with learning, mood and behavior issues.
- Neuroplasticity. Exciting research shows that our brain is a dynamic system that has the capability of significant growth. This means that the brain is plastic and malleable. The brain can re-wire itself and make structural changes as a result of new experiences, new stimuli, use or disuse.
- Neurogenesis. Research also reveals (Eriksson, et al., 1998) that we can produce brand new brain cells.
PTC teaches parents how to provide the child the kind of experiences that will enable the brain to grow through positive experiences. Parents are taught brain-friendly strategies to assist their children to become everything they are capable of being. Parents are taught how they can change intelligence by teaching them about their own and their child’s brains.
This comprehensive PTC approach to learning problems, ADD, ADHD social issues, autism spectrum problems, depression, anxiety, mood swings and behavioral issues has been shown to produce successful healing, where currently there is a great deal of failure.
[/tab] [tab title=”Common Diagnoses”]
Your child may have already been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, OCD, ODD, Depression, Autism spectrum disorder, behavioral, academic or social issues, or perhaps has not yet been diagnosed, but you are considering getting a diagnosis.
You have two choices:
- Get a diagnosis and treat the diagnosis
- Identify and treat the source of the problems.
Clusters of certain body-spirit symptoms will provide the kind of clues that will help functional healthcare practitioners identify the underlying root causes for the learning, behavior and mood challenges your child is displaying. Combinations of symptoms will indicate which organs or systems in the body are not functioning correctly and creating problems in learning and behavior.
[/tab] [tab title=”3 Program Options”]
The Parents, Take Charge Program is offered in three ways:
1. Personal Coaching Sessions
The PTC program is tailored and personalized for the specific learning, behavior or mood issues your child has.
2. Parents, Take Charge! Workshop
This is a 4-hour interactive educational and skills-building workshop. Workshop participants are placed in small groups in which they will learn and practice the Take Charge Skills. In this way participants leave the workshop with actual skills beyond anything that could be learned simply from a lecture.
3. Online interactive Webinar
This consists of 4 one-hour sessions – one per week for 4 weeks. The content of this online program is the same as the 4-hour live workshop (option 2 above) without the skills practice.