I just listened to a really excellent interview with Dr Martha Herbert on the Detox Summit. http://thedetoxsummit.com/martha-herbert-md-phd/ Dr Herbert is an amazing forward thinking leader in the field of autism. She is my hero when it comes to cutting edge work on Autism and general brain health. I know that not everyone has the time to listen to a lengthy interview so I have summarized for you some of the most important and fascinating points she made. Each of these points applies not only to autism but to kids anywhere on the spectrum as well as to all children and each one of us.
Here are some of the main take-aways:
- Nothing is really hardwired. The idea of us being hardwired is a myth.
- Autism is a process – it is not hardwired or stamped into the brain chips.
- Autism is an extreme form of stress – a qualitatively greater form of stress.
- Autism is the way the brain creates behavior when it has a high toxic load and not enough inner resources to fight this.
- Brain waves get altered by toxicity.
- Must reduce the total load of toxicity and rebuild the inner resources.
Pertinent to everyone:
- There is an interaction between the things on the outside that make you sick and things inside you that can make you better.
- Toxins are a burden on the body – make the system vulnerable.
- Some of us are more vulnerable than others depending on what’s happening inside of us.
- Toxins will have a negative impact on you when the total pile-up of physical. emotional, psychological and other toxins have not been cleared out and are greater than your inner resources/resiliency.
The big question then is: – are you/your children maintaining your ability to yourself carry out repair processes. The way you do that is:
- High nutrient dense food.
- Protecting healthy bugs and avoiding infections.
- Avoiding toxic exposure.
- Keeping stress down – sleep, exercise and equanimity.
Taking high quality supplements is the second line of defense after high nutrient dense foods. You can’t eat junk food and then take supplements.
Most important supplements for kids:
- Vitamin C – our bodies don’t make enough
- Magnesium – many of us/kids insufficient in magnesium or don’t absorb it well
- Omega 3 Fats
- Zinc (drops in toxic kids – Copper levels increase)
- Precursors for Glutathione
Dr Herbert’s 4 most important messages to take away:
- Fall in love with learning about high nutrient dense food.
- Your resiliency is your most precious thing so make every food choice a healthy choice.
- Be forward looking – this reduces the stress. Keep your vision on the solutions and look to the future.
- Get lots of sleep – 8-9 hours – allows brain trash removal.
You can hear many highly informative interviews FREE online event – Aug 4th – 11th – THE DETOX SUMMIT http://thedetoxsummit.com/. If you missed out on the free event, you can still watch the workshops – they are available for sale on the site at $67 for a digital package. The sale ends Tuesday, August 12th at 10am EST, when the prices will go up to $97 for the digital copy. It also comes with FREE bonus gifts, like eBooks, videos, cookbooks and much more (a $120 value for FREE)!