In the past month, I had the opportunity to speak to over 700 people who attended my Parents, Take Charge workshops in South Africa. The workshop registration form asks participants to answer the question:’ ‘What would you like to get out of the workshop?’ Parents poured their hearts out in response to this question. They describe themselves as being confused, angry, afraid and overwhelmed. The word ‘desperate’ appears on almost every second registration form. They describe how the conventional approach to solving these problems is not working. Above all they wrote about their burning desire to find a better way of removing the learning and behavior burdens that make life so difficult for their beloved children and their families.
- I want to do whatever I can to find my carefree, joyful daughter again and get back the stars in her eyes. Please help!’
- They want to put my son on Ritalin. I want to ensure that I explore all options of other ways to help him that doesn’t require medication first.
- To empower myself to better understand my ADD diagnosed son and raise a confident, happy child.
- Hoping to gain new insights into how we can best assist our daughters with their learning and concentration problems.
- I want a son who is off his depression meds, epilepsy meds, mood stabilizers, who doesn’t freak out, shout, scream, bully and who does his school work without having meltdowns.
- To learn how to treat and handle my 5yr old with behavioral problems, he is on Risperdal.
- Greater understanding and alternate ways of treating our six year old daughter as a result of side effects from prescribed meds – Ritalin and Strattera
- How to help my child with ADHD to manage at school without medicating her.
After the Workshop
Leaving the workshop participants wrote about feeling hope for the first time in a long while, seeing a bright ray of light and feeling empowered about how to take charge of helping their children finally overcome their challenges. You can hear what they say in their own words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbroklspWYg
Here’s what they heard that gives them this hope and what I would like you to know:
Your child does not have a brain disorder. Your child has an underlying health issue that has remained undetected and untreated. This is what is causing the learning and behavior problems. This can be diagnosed and treated.
Above all remember that underneath the layers of problems there is a healthy intelligent, energetic, creative life-loving, confident child.