Today I sat across the table from a wonderful lady who lost her son 18 months ago to drugs. He was in his early twenties. Her journey to that terrible moment was one that hundreds of thousands of parents can sadly relate to. When he was six years old he was diagnosed with ADHD. This led to different prescriptions for different drugs as this wonderful, bright young boy struggled to learn.
Then he began to display, what the doctors called, ‘behavior disorders.’ He became angry and rebellious. They called this Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Then he became anxious and obsessive and they called this OCD. And, of course, with each new diagnosis, more prescription drugs were recommended.
This young boy always loved to take risks and push the boundaries, whether they were physical, social or legal. This, of course, created all kinds of problems in his teens because nothing seemed to frighten him. But, interestingly enough, as a young adult this risk-taking behavior made him hugely successful in business. He became a wealthy young man and loved to spend his money on skydiving and other such adrenalin-enhancing experiences.
Looking with Different Eyes
If anybody stopped for a moment and looked at this child in a positive way, they would have seen the makings of a great entrepreneur, explorer, adventurer and people-inspirer, driven by great passion to take life by the throat. Instead they gave him negative labels and medication.
After having read about my spirit-body approach to overcoming learning and behavior symptoms, this mom began to wonder how, and if, life would have been different if she had known then about the options I teach now. Like all parents who have lost a child, she was torturing herself with, “what if I had…, What if I hadn’t…” This mom tearfully wondered what if there was another way they could have handled this but were unaware that there were different and possibly better options.
- What if there was an underlying medical cause for my son’s challenges that was never detected and therefore never treated.
- What if his hurting body created a hurting spirit that increased his stress levels, making him more emotionally and physically vulnerable?
- What if he had food allergies, that we did not identify that caused stress on his body and brain?
- What if he had vitamin deficiencies that we did not know about, that triggered these learning and behavior symptoms that were incorrectly labeled as disorders and incorrectly treated?
- What if he had digestive problems, possibly intestinal parasites, bacteria or fungus that caused inflammation and manifested in ways that looks like learning, behavior and mood disorders?
- What if instead of finding and treating the underlying cause of my sons learning and behavior issues we were just drugging the symptoms?
Of course we will never know the answer to these ‘what if’ questions in the case of this mother’s son. I wanted to share these ‘what ifs’ with my readers because these are options I would highly recommend you explore if you have a child who is underachieving, has low motivation, is inattentive, distracted, hyperactive, has meltdowns, feels anxious, depressed, has temper tantrums, is a bully or has been diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, ADD or autism…
Wouldn’t you want to discover and treat the underlying causes for these symptoms, rather than resort to a quick fix simply to make the symptoms go away?