Study shows that one million children may be misdiagnosed with ADHD.
If you click on the link and read this very short and shocking article and you will know why I say that the time has come for Parents to TAKE CHARGE!
It seems to me that we have totally lost our way when it comes to dealing with our children’s emotional, learning and behavior challenges. Why do I say this? Because too often others dealing with your child are working with an outdated model:
1. They have a tendency to be too quick to rush to judgment about a child’s behavior or learning ability being ‘abnormal’. If you are a parent, don’t just accept this!
2. They have a tendency to be stuck in old ways of thinking and use old-fashioned information because they haven’t kept up with the truly phenomenal new research and ideas and perspectives that are taking place in the field of learning and behavior and mood disorders. If you are a parent, don’t just accept this!
3. They have a tendency to take the line of least resistance, which is to give the child medication, because it makes life easier for them – If you are a parent, don’t just accept this!
It’s easier for doctors to tell the parent to fill the script and give their kids medication. It’s more difficult to look for the underlying causes. The problem is that these drugs may control the symptoms –but they don’t correct the real problem – which in most cases, is correctible. And so the child goes through life with a label and medication and the entire trauma that goes with this. And all the while there is a root cause, that, if identified and treated, could lead to a major improvement in, and recovery from the child’s condition.
And now it is 2010
So now it is 2010 and the outdated approach described above has led to an epidemic of learning, behavior and mood disorders in children. Just look at these staggering statistics! Today there are about 16 million children who are diagnosed with attention, behavior and learning problems. Each day thousands more are being diagnosed with ADHD, Aspergers, dyslexia, Tourettes, OCD, bipolar disorder and depression.
This year, one out of every six, five or six year olds entering school will be diagnosed with some condition that affects their ability to learn and socially interact. And this trend is expected to get worse. 1 out of every 150 children will be diagnosed with autism. Autism affects twice as many boys as girls so 1 in every 100 boys born today will be diagnosed with autism before the age of 3.
ADHD is the leading childhood disorder in the world. Last year doctors in the USA wrote an estimated 20 million prescriptions for Ritalin despite some negative side effects and the fact that we don’t even know what the long-term consequences could be. Between 1990 and 1998 the use of Ritalin increased 800%. It is becoming so commonplace that it is even being described for children as young as age four!
Doesn’t this make you wonder… ‘What is going on!?’
And here’s the most staggering fact of all – the methods that doctors and psychologists and behavior specialists use to diagnose and treat these conditions have not changed in 50 years. 50 Years!
Doctors, scientists, and concerned parents everywhere are asking, ‘How can we stop this?’ ‘What can we do about it?’
I am suggesting that as parents and teachers we can TAKE CHARGE! We can stop accepting an outdated medical model without first asking, ‘Is there another way?! ‘
Yes, there is another way! http://www.parentstakecharge.com
There is another way to reduce and even recover from these conditions. Are you aware that a very exciting and remarkable medical metamorphosis is taking place? We are now discovering that what we believed about learning, mood and behavior disorders is 180 degrees away from what the new research is showing to be true. And with this new information comes great hope for ourselves and our wonderful children.
We are discovering that inflammation in the body and brain is the source of every symptom we have, or our children have. One of the major causes of this inflammation is STRESS. Stress and inflammation mess with our chemicals. And the unbalanced chemicals affect us physically, mentally and emotionally. When we reduce the stress and treat the inflammation, the body and brain are then free to go back into balance and function normally. This means that we need to know how:
- To create stress-less relationships and environments for kids
- Find the source of any existing inflammation (In my next blog I will write about the different sources of inflammation and how to identify these).
- And refuse to take the path of least resistance and just suppress the symptoms.
So to the parents reading this I say, TAKE CHARGE! And to the wonderful teachers everywhere , I say, TAKE CHARGE! I am asking you all to help us heal our children by empowering yourselves with:
- New and leading edge information – read everything you can find.
2. New and different Parenting and Teaching skills.
3. In my Parents,Take Charge! and Teachers, Take Charge! workshops I will teach you how to live a stress-less life, recognize the signs of inflammation, identify its source, reduce it, and track how the learning, emotional or behavioral problem begins to be resolved http://www.parentstakecharge.com/about-ptc/workshop-content-2
And until you have a chance to attend this amazing workshop here are some tips about how you can begin to Take Charge! today:
- Make the decision to take personal and passionate responsibility to explore all options available.
- Go on a quest to become an expert about the very latest perspectives on learning, behavior or emotional symptoms the child displays.
- Find out who is doing the latest and best work in this field.
- Read differing points of view.
- Speak to others who have the same challenges.
- Once you are fully informed make some decisions about the options you would like to explore.
- Be clear about the reasons why you want to explore the options you choose.
- Manage your ego
- Call a meeting with the doctor/ teacher and explain to them:
- This is what I am doing.
- This is why. (Share your research with them).
- This is what I need from you. (don’t be put off by their cynicism)
- Can we do this together? (If not, find a doctor who will work with you).
- Let’s agree how we will measure progress.
Good Luck. You are now on your Way to TAKING CHARGE!